Nidderdale & Washburn Walks
Date: 30th June 2012
Distance: 2.6 miles
Ascent: 349 feet
Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
Start Grid Ref: SE101734
Route Summary: Lofthouse - Thrope Lane - Thrope Farm - Scar House Access Road - Lofthouse
Walk Summary: The aim of this walk was to take my daughter Rhiannon out for a short walk that involved a bit more climbing than she has previously done.
The planned route was to walk along the bridleway known as Thrope Lane as far as Thrope Farm and then climb up to the impressive looking shooting house on the moor top before walking back along Thrope Edge. Things didn't quite work out as planned as Rhiannon was already quite tired by the time we reached Thrope Farm and was really not impressed with the steep looking path up on to the moor.
We gave it a go but it was obvious she was struggling and not wanting to push her too much and spoil her enjoyment of the day we instead went back down to Thrope Farm, crossed over the Nidd and walked back to Lofthouse along the access road to Scar House Reservoir. Along the way we stopped for lunch at some handily placed picnic benches by the side of the road.
The change in route actually turned out quite well as it started raining just as we got back to Lofthouse and within minutes there was a downpour. Had we taken the route back along the moor it would have added about an hour on to the walk and we would have got quite a soaking.
1. Rhiannon at the beginning of Thrope Lane
2. Looking across to Middlesmoor perched on the hill above the valley
3. The view of upper Nidderdale from Thrope Lane
4. The River Nidd below Thrope Farm
5. Thrope Edge with the shooting house on the skyline
6. Rhiannon on the access road to Scar House Reservoir
7. Footbridge over the Nidd near Lofthouse
8. The war memorial in Lofthouse